52 weeks...52 books

My goal is to create, enhance and/or design 52 books in 52 weeks.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Week 2 /Bound Journal

My daughter needed a journal for an English assignment.  I was not sure I had the supplies, but I was determined to make it without buying additional supplies.  I had been reading an instructional book on how to bound books using different techniques.  My daughter stated the journal needed to be "hippie-ish" and something a man would use.  This is what we came up with:

I wanted a leather and natural look, so I took a leather trivet and made 3 color copies of it.  I also had some brown packing paper, that I wrinkled very well.  I had my daughter rip both sheets into 1 inch strips.  We then weaved the two different papers together.  I put a paper wrapped pencil in place of one of the strips of paper.  I then glued the weaved papers onto the cardboard.  The back cover and both inside covers were covered with some of wrinkled brown paper.  I used a paint brush to brush on a mixture of glue and water to give the outside cover more stability and a finished look.  I then used a hand drill to drill the holes thru the front cover, inside papers and the back paper.  I used twine to bind the book.

The back cover was a solid piece of cardboard.  The front cover was the same size, but 1-2 inches cut off the end to make the hinge. 

Items used:  copy machine, ivory parchment paper, twine, pencil, hand drill, elmers glue, paint brush.

It took 3 hours to finish the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment